Rules and Regulations
Eligibility to Compete
1. Age: Category 1 (Single Voice), Category 2 (Mixed Voice), Category 4 (Open Category) has a minimum entry age of 18. Category 3 (Young Voices) is for any age up to and including 18 years old.
2. Choirs must have a minimum of 8 persons and no more than 80 persons. If your choir members exceed or don’t meet this number please contact the organiser.
3. Choirs that have won their category three years in a row are unable to compete the following year in that category, but may resume the following year.
4. All choirs have a minimum of 8 and a maximum of 12 minutes actual singing time, in which they can sing as many contrasting pieces of music as they like, with or without accompaniment. Please note that timings must be adhered to and any choirs will be penalised for exceeding the time limit by the following:
Time Over-Run Penalty:
Up to 30 seconds: Nil
30 seconds - 1 minute 1 mark
1 minute - 1.5 minutes 2 marks
1.5 minutes - 2 minutes 4 marks
2 minutes - 3 minutes 6 marks
3 minutes - 4 minutes 8 marks
Over 4 minutes 10 marks
5. Choirs may only sing each piece of music once in the Festival (i.e. a separate programme is required for each class entered).
6. The Judges’ decision in all competition matters shall be deemed final.
7. The North Wales Choir Festival does not accept backing tracks for the competitions apart from Category 4 (Open Category). A piano is provided on stage for your accompanist.
Broadcasting & Recording Rights
10. It is a condition of participation that any choir agrees:
a. That any performance it gives during the NWCF may be broadcast live, recorded and/or photographed for subsequent broadcast on radio, television, online and/or CD, without payment to the choir. All broadcasting rights to any performance at the Festival shall belong to the Festival, which will be free to dispose of them as it sees fit.
b. That any performance it gives during the NWCF may, without payment, be recorded and the organisers shall be entitled to possession of any such recording and shall further be entitled to reproduce any such recording and to sell, let for hire, offer for sale or hire, distribute or otherwise dispose of any recording or reproduction of recording of any such performance in any matter that it sees fit.
c. In accordance with performance rights the use of video, audio or photographic equipment is not permitted during any competitions, except by the Festival’s official photographer.
d. Musical instruments - please let the organisers know in advance if you have any additional musical instruments to bring on stage.
e. Backing tracks must be given in MP3 format on a USB stick or on one CD in the correct order of performance, audio must be the highest quality possible. Please ensure that backing tracks are sent in as far in advance as possible.
11. Late entries will be accepted only in exceptional circumstances.
12. Choirs will not be allowed to perform on the stage before the competition, but will be given a minimum of 30 minutes’ rehearsal time in a specified rehearsal room.
13. Choirs will be seated to watch performances in their category. However, a ticket should be purchased to view other classes. Admission fees must be paid by all other guests of the choir.
14. Due to copyright legislation, the North Wales Choir Festival does not accept responsibility for the illegal reproduction of music. Any competing choirs choosing to do so, will accept liability.
15. Three copies of each piece of music are required so that all three adjudicators may have a copy. These can be collected from the Registration Desk following your class competition.
16. Organisers reserve the right to alter the timetable according to the number of entries received for each category.
17. Organisers reserve the right to limit the number of entries for each category.
18. Organisers reserve the right to cancel a category if it feels there have been insufficient entries.
19. Organisers reserve the right to refuse any entry.
20. Participation in the NWCF implies acceptance of all the rules and regulations.
21. Under no circumstances will the piano be moved during the Festival as it has been placed and tuned accordingly. Please call or e-mail with enquiries and a photo of the piano position can be sent.
22. Choirs must centre themselves on the riser in line with the centre stage mark.
23. The choral riser has 4 rows/steps and side railings. The front row is 21ft long, the back row is 30ft long. There is a depth of 11ft. A spec is available upon request.
24. Under no circumstances are sound checks allowed in the Arena beforehand, even if using backing tracks.
25. There is a limit of 10 choirs per category. Once capacity is reached, choirs will be placed on a waiting list which will be managed on a first come, first served basis if choirs pull out.
26. Audience members must leave the Arena at the end of each category (even if a day pass has been purchased). This is due to a change of allocated seats for competing choirs.
Trophies & Prize Money (All Categories)
- 1st place Trophy and £500
- 2nd place Trophy and £200
- 3rd place Trophy and £100
- Competition for categories 1, 2 starts on Saturday 4 March at 10am*.
- Competition for categories 3 and 4 starts on Sunday 5 March at 10am*.
*Timings are subject to change. Adjudicators’ remarks and results are given after each performance.
If you have any queries you can contact the organisers using the details below:
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: 01492 577839